Sweet Treats for the Festive Season
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Christmas is a time for festive classics: Christmas sugar cookies. But like all the classics, to achieve that nostalgic taste, they need to be done well. This recipe from Delish is a tried and tested version. Artfully arranged on an elegant serving dish, the classic allows you and the whole family to make something bright and beautiful together.
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour, plus more for the surface
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar, beating until there is a fluffy texture. Add the wet ingredients: egg, vanilla, milk. Continue mixing, and then introduce the flour mix continuously.
- Once fully combined, form the mixture into a flat circle, cling film, and refrigerate.
- Once refrigerated for at least an hour, the mix is ready to be rolled into shape. Preheat your oven to 350º, with two parchment paper-lined baking sheets ready to go. On a flour-coated countertop, roll out the dough to a rough eight of an inch thickness.
- Cut the shapes that you like. We like to experiment, letting the family design their own, either classic Christmas designs or something more personal. Then, and this is crucial, freeze your designs for around 10 minutes. This is what makes sure the hot oven doesn’t warp your design.
- Now, bake. In between eight and 10 minutes your sugar cookies will be lightly golden and delicious
- Take them out of the oven to cool. Once okay to handle, the true fun can start - frosting and decorations can make these humble Christmas sugar cookies the star of a table. We like to arrange them on some Christmas serving dishes or elevate them with a gorgeous domed cake stand to create a true centerpiece.