If you’re looking for easy summer dessert recipes to whip up this season, look no further than this dreamy Coconut Cream Pie. Made with a decadent filling, flaky crust, and whipped cream topping, this glorious cream pie is what summer dreams are made of.
Perfect for any barbecue or dinner party this season, Coconut Cream Pie is a delicious way to stay cool and indulge with your loved ones. This summer dessert recipe is best when prepared a day in advance, making for the ultimate make-ahead dish. With just 15 minutes of prep time, it truly doesn’t get any easier than this.
To cut back on cooking time and ensure that this cream pie recipe is super easy to make, we recommend using a store-bought pie crust. However, you can feel free to make your own homemade pie crust if preferred. Either way, this delightful coconut cream pie guarantees to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters during the summertime.
For a photo-worthy presentation that promises to impress, serve this cream pie in one of our exquisite porcelain pie dishes. Garnish with shredded coconut and a fresh mint sprig, then enjoy your new favorite summer dessert!
Does coconut cream pie have to be refrigerated?
Yes! Because the pie filling is made with milk and eggs, coconut cream pie should be covered and stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Leftover pie can be stored this way for up to 3-4 days.
What’s the difference between coconut cream and coconut custard pie?
While both pies are made with a custard-like filling, the primary difference between coconut cream pie and coconut custard pie is that the latter is baked while the former is not. Unlike coconut custard pie, this coconut cream pie is cooked on the stove and then chilled until set.
How do you thicken coconut cream pie filling?
There are several ingredients used to thicken coconut cream pie filling, but the most important one is cornstarch. This thickening agent is the key to achieving a thick and creamy pie filling.
Coconut Cream Pie Ingredients:
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded and sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, for topping
Coconut Cream Pie Recipe:
- Prepare pie crust in a Michael Aram pie dish according to package instructions.
- Toast 1/2 cup shredded coconut until golden and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, add coconut milk, half-and-half, and egg yolks. Whisk to thoroughly combine, then set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-low heat, then add sugar and cornstarch. Slowly pour in the coconut milk mixture, whisking to combine as you pour.
- Bring the custard to a boil and continue to boil for a minute, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat, then mix in the remaining shredded coconut, butter, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Carefully pour the pie filling into the pie crust and loosely cover it with plastic wrap. Transfer to the fridge and chill until set, about 3 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve the cream pie, top with whipped cream and sprinkle the toasted coconut pieces over the top to garnish. Enjoy!